A J Wade & Co., Burslem, Staffordshire
The company was founded in 1867 as J & W Wade and Co, changing its name in about 1923 to A J Wade. They specialised in Art Nouveau style relief moulded tiles, an 'Anglo-Persian' range of hand painted tiles on a hand-made body, and tube-lined tiles in typical Art Deco style. In 1950, the company became Wade Ltd, making the famous Wade Whimsies, small porcelain animal figures. They also made a few architectural tiles from porcelain in the 1950s, and a range of hand decorated tiles to designs by Rhys and Jean Powell in the 1960s. These were decorated on H & R Johnson blanks and were eventually produced by Johnson's too.