Purbeck Decorative Tile Co., Swanage, Dorset
The Purbeck Decorative Tile Co was formed in 1952 by Sir John and Lady Bowman and produced a series of local views screen-printed overglaze on commercial white tiles. In 1959 the business moved to Newbury in Berkshire and produced a wider range of designs for domestic kitchens and bathrooms. In 1984, the company was taken over by Australian, Gail Tregear who moved the business to Clapham in London and employed Paul Henry to run it. Purbeck was one of the first tile makers to see the possibilities of computer design and established Computer Ceramics Design Ltd to operate this side of the business. The business closed in the 1990s.