Sherwin & Cotton, Hanley, Staffordshire
Sherwin and Cotton was established in 1877 and was a prolific manufacturers of all forms of tiles for walls and floors. They were makers of some of the earliest of George Cartlidge's photographic tiles and also had a range of Niello tiles which were transfer printed and coloured using translucent glazes. Another speciality was barbotine tiles, tiles made using raised painted slip decoration. The company folded in 1911 and their works was taken over by H & R Johnson, who continued to use the name Sherwin and Cotton alongside their own on tiles made at the Eastwood Works.