W T Copeland, Stoke, Staffordshire
This company were the successors to the Spode Company (1847) and began very early on to manufacture tiles. They specialised in very fine plastic clay tiles, usually with a 'combed' back. They employed transfer printing and occasionally relief moulded techniques. They did a small number of dust-pressed tiles, but these are very unusual. The company ceased tile manufacture in c1890, but continued as a commercial pottery up to c1967.