William Godwin & Son, Lugwardine, Herefordshire
In 1852, William and Henry Godwin began to manufacture encaustic tiles at Lugwardine, Hereford. Henry, the younger of the two brothers, had worked for Maw and Co at Worcester before joining his brother who had previously made bricks. The company's products appealed to church architects as they were very close in style to original medieval inlaid tiles. Eventually the company also made dust-pressed encaustics and relief moulded tiles. They went out of business in 1906 when the works were sold to G H Lloyd and Thomas Pulling.