Text: Sml Med Lrg b/w

Options

Sub Themes (37)

You are in Home William Godwin & Son, Lugwardine, Herefordshire

William Godwin & Son, Lugwardine, Herefordshire

Related Themes (3)

In 1852, William and Henry Godwin began to manufacture encaustic tiles at Lugwardine, Hereford. Henry, the younger of the two brothers, had worked for Maw and Co at Worcester before joining his brother who had previously made bricks. The company's products appealed to church architects as they were very close in style to original medieval inlaid tiles. Eventually the company also made dust-pressed encaustics and relief moulded tiles. They went out of business in 1906 when the works were sold to G H Lloyd and Thomas Pulling.

Related Objects

1 Page of results
Image Details  
/assets/userfiles/thumbnail/ig0686.jpg ObjectW Godwin Arms of Hereford backstamp design
W Godwin plastic clay encaustic tile with impressed back mark featuring the coat of arms of the City of Hereford. 6" square, c1850.
/assets/userfiles/thumbnail/ig0685.jpg ObjectW Godwin fish in oval design
W Godwin plastic clay encaustic tile, stylized fish within an oval set diagonally on the tile, quarter circles/flower heads in opposite corners. 6" square, c1850
/assets/userfiles/thumbnail/ig0672.jpg ObjectW Godwin geometric design
W Godwin dust-pressed encaustic tile, geometric design of circle with four small circles overlapping., 4" square, c1890.
/assets/userfiles/thumbnail/ig0671.jpg ObjectW Godwin geometric design
W Godwin dust-pressed encaustic tile, geometric design of a quatrefoil within corner quadrants, 4" square, c1890.
/assets/userfiles/thumbnail/ig0645.jpg ObjectWilliam Godwin neo-gothic design
William Godwin dust-pressed encaustic tile, neo-gothic design inlaid in black, buff, yellow and white, 4" square, c1875
1 Page of results

Tracker